My new laptop
April 4th, 2019
Wow, time goes so fast! Haven't posted something here in a while... Anyway, in case you didn't notice yet, a lot of things have happened since last time! On Janary 21st I got a brand new laptop! I thought it'd be a good idea to get to know it a bit first, before writing a blog post about it. This way, I can talk about the things I am happy about, as well as the things I am a little less happy about! Enjoy! :D
MSI GV62 8RELet's first talk about the specifications of my new favorite piece of tech;
- It features an i7 8750H processor, with 6 cores (12 threads), which is very good for rendering! So far, I have had no trouble rendering heavy smoke simulations. It is a super fast processor! It also has integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630, which is nice to have, but I dont really use it.
- It also has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB of VRAM, which is super duper useful for rendering. It is very fast at rendering. I am not really a person who games a lot, but there's one game I really like to play. It's called Mirror's Edge Catalyst. It runs absolutely fine with all settings maxed out.
- Along with that, it has 16GB of DDR4 RAM, which is enaugh for rendering most of my projects. I prefer 16GB over 8GB because some of my scenes are just too big to render with only 8GB of RAM.
- To store all of my oversized simulations, renders etc. it has a 1TB HDD hard drive, and a 256GB SSD drive where I installed my Windows on (So it boots up quicker).
- Talking about the screen, it has a 1920x1080p IPS LCD non-reflective screen. Some sources say that it has a refresh rate of 120Hz, but as far as I have seen, I can only set it to a maximum of 60Hz.
Now, let's get over to the pros and cons of this laptop!
Pros- Fast processor
- Powerful GPU
- Good at rendering
- Enaugh RAM
- Fast SSD drive
Cons- Very loud fans at maximum load
- SSD is quite small for it's price (but luckily upgradeable as far as I know)
- Really needs to be connected to power in order to have high performance. (On battery, the performance drops to around 50%)
My conclusionI really love this laptop! I also want to point out that my parents gave me this laptop! I just started studying programming and I needed to have a new laptop. Since I do blender stuff, we decided I might as well just took a powerful laptop so I can render on it. A big shoutout to my parents for giving me such a big present! :D
The final question; Do I recommend this laptop? Yes, I absolutely do. For €1400, you get a GTX 1060, 16GB RAM and an i7 8th generation, which is a really good combination. The fans are pretty loud so I can't really render while being at school, but that doesn't really matter. Also, if you really want to game on the go, I'd recommend taking your power adaptor with you since gaming on your battery really seems to drop the performance.
So, that wraps it up! After ~8 years I finally have a new laptop!
Thank you for reading! Feel free to read some of my other blog posts too!
- Daan (AKA BluePixelAnimations)